Clayco Safe – Setting a New Standard
From day one, Clayco has set out to be the leader in the industry for jobsite safety. That strategy has taken on a life of its own in creating an entire “safety net” over all we do. At Clayco, every team member is part of creating a SAFE PLACE. To work, to work with, to do business and trusting us with our clients’ most mission critical building projects.
With an amazing EMR of .50 and jobsite data across a wide variety of matrix we have proven year after year that we walk the walk. SAFETY is OUR FIRST PRIORITY. In fact, Clayco is proud to be a member of the Region VII OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) which recognize employers and workers in the private industry and federal agencies who have implemented effective safety and health management systems and maintain injury and illness rates below national Bureau of Labor Statistics averages for their respective industries.
We take a proactive approach to safety management to provide our clients with projects that go incident free. Our own branded safety program, Clayco Safe, empowers all personnel on any job site to identify and correct hazards and at risk behaviors, reinforce safety compliance and execute the highest standard of safety procedures and practices.
At Clayco safety is not only important on the job but off the job as well. The Clayco safety motto of “Clayco Safe We Live By It” is one way we communicate that safety is 24/7.
What is VPP?
The Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) recognizes work-sites that have achieved and continue to maintain excellence in worker safety and health protection through cooperation with and among labor, management, and government. Simply put, we are being considered as a model of safety excellence through the eyes of OSHA.
We have a team where every individual believes that we can work injury free 100% of the time and are unwilling to allow any task to be done without considering and safely managing the risks. Everyone is responsible for recognizing hazards and correcting issues rather than live with them or walk by them. “You See It, You Own It” All of us carry this attitude in all aspects of our lives both at work and with our families. (Safety is 24/7)
Stretch & Flex Program
The goal of a company-sponsored, stretching program is to provide work-specific stretches to help our employees increase their overall flexibility and range-of-motion. These stretches will lengthen the muscle tissue making the muscles less prone to trauma, tears, and other types of injuries. A stretching program will also help muscles and tendons recover more quickly from job fatigue. It is a good idea to stretch before work activity, both at the beginning of a shift and after lunch breaks, at a minimum.
Clayco understands the need to recognize those working safely in the field.
Several methods of recognition are possible on a Clayco project, however, one of the key events is our annual Field Recognition safety event. All field workers are invited to attend a dinner and opportunity to receive some nice prizes. This event is held to show appreciation for the focus on safety all have made over the past year.
Best-In-Class Safety Program
As a result, our Experience Modification Rate, a rating system used by insurers to gauge risk of on-site injury, and our Total Injury Rate have beaten industry averages for the past nine years. We are continually improving our processes to enhance our zero injury culture preventing incidents through an organized safety and risk management approach that employs the following:
- Commitment from all levels that “No job is so important it cannot be done safely”
- A vision that ZERO injuries is possible, with an emphasis on proactive measures
- Web-based subcontractor prequalification selection process which includes a detailed safety review
- Creation of site specific safety plans to address the risks of each project
- Clayco specific safety orientation required for everyone working on the jobsite
- Daily pre-task safety planning process for all crews
- Robust communication and awareness processes if an incident occurs (Safety Alert and root cause analysis within 48 hours)
- A monthly safety metrics dashboard creating accountability at all levels
- Recognition for achieving significant safety milestones and injury free days/hours (Zero Heroes)
- Weekly, documented, high-quality jobsite safety inspections conducted by all levels of the organization
- Highly skilled and experienced safety professionals on staff to provide jobsite safety coordination
- Safety education and training goals for all Clayco employees
- Substance abuse testing programs for all employees
- O.S.E.L.T. (Organizational Safety and Excellence Leadership Team) comprised of all levels of management, from executive to field, with the common goal of safety excellence.
- Eye Protection: ANSI Z87 eye protection shall be worn at all times (including prescription eyewear). All grinding, saw cutting, and work involving flying particles shall require the use of a face shield, and either foam lined safety glasses or goggles.
- Head Protection: Hard hats are required at all times (including welding), except when in break areas or equipment cabs. Hard Hat Welding Hood Variances may only be obtained from Clayco.
- Hand Protection: Proper Gloves are required to be worn at all times (minimum ANSI cut level A3). Exceptions made only for tasks that physically cannot be performed while wearing gloves (i.e. threading small screws).
- Fall Protection: 100% Fall Protection is required on unguarded areas 6′ or higher.
- Pre Task Safety Analysis: Complete and sign the daily PTSA outlining the steps of the task, the hazards, and the controls.
- Safe Work Permitting & Inspections: Complete and obtain Clayco approval for Hot Work, Confined Space, Roof Work & Excavation Permits. Complete Equipment & Aerial Lift Inspections prior to operation.
- Verify Zero Enery: Verify that all energy sources are at zero before working on equipment.